Friday, July 06, 2012

Vegan Poutine Soup


This recipe was inspired by the Canadian favourite, Poutine, which first originated in Quebec. Unlike the original poutine, mine is full of healthy fats, delicious veggies, and has a delightfully creamy texture. The best thing about it, is that it is completely guilt-free!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chopped eggplant (no skin)
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/4 cup soaked cashews
1/2 cup cooked, white kidney beans
1 tbsp Bragg Organic Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning
1/2 cup Daiya mozzarella shredded cheese
pinch of Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp coconut oil

2-5oz russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 tsp Bragg Organic Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning
1 tbsp grapeseed oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop the potatoes vertically and then into three. Add to a freezer bag, with oil and seasoning. Seal, and shake the bag until potatoes are coated. Place potatoes, skin side down, on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, start the veggies. Begin by steaming the eggplant, until tender. While the eggplant is steaming, saute the onions and garlic on medium heat, with coconut oil. Add the eggplant, sauteed onion and garlic, cashews, beans, spices and salt, and broth into a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small pot and heat through, Add the 'cheese' last, and stir continuously, until melted and combined.  

Scoop the soup into bowls, and delicately place the potatoes around the edge. Serve with a delicious, green salad.

Makes 2-3 servings


*Note: The soup (without the potatoes) can be used as a gravy, or even a white sauce for pasta dishes. Use your imagination! :)


Thanks for reading,

Happy Eating!



5 comments:

  1. This sounds VERY interesting!! Looking forward to trying this when my eggplant is ready to be picked out of my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I don't think anyone has ever tried one of my recipes before :D. Let me know how you like it! I will be making it again sometime soon. Maybe as a gravy for somethig. I've gotta think something up! I'm three blogs behind! I lost my notes :(

      Delete
  2. This is making my mouthwater just looking at it! Gotta try it after the reset! :)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooo good, Melissa!! Let me know if you try it! I definitely have to make it again.

      Delete
    2. It was sooooo good, Melissa!! Let me know if you try it! I definitely have to make it again.

      Delete